Total Pageviews

Friday 2 January 2015

Cuda the Pit Bull vs. Diane Jessup

 Cuda the Pit Bull vs. Diane Jessup

So I dont know if any of you follow Cuda the Pit Bull on Facebook at all, but I did up until recently.

For those of you that don't know, Cuda is a younger pit bull that is seriously deformed. Her owner has now taken a stand against inbreeding and claims that is what CAUSED Cuda's deformities. Those of you that do your research know that line breeding does not CAUSE deformities, but can magnify them if they are already present in the genes of the parents.

So someone posed a question to Diane Jessup about Cuda. Here is what transpired:

07.16.11
Q: Cuda the Pit Bull was picked up at a gas station after her original rescue family lost their apartment. Her current and forever family adopted her and eventually began a campaign to enter her in the "World's Ugliest Dog" competition, because of her very unique looks, with the goal of raising awareness of inbreeding and irresponsible breeders. Her abridged life story is here: Blogger: User Profile: CUDA the SPECIAL PIT BULL
Facebook page (with more pictures): CudaCares.org - Wall | Facebook
Blog: Cuda the Deformed Pit Bull
I thought you might be interested in seeing this wonderful dog who is teaching people that pits are great dogs, and that irresponsible breeders and inbreeding should be avoided. 

Erica

A: Thank you for the note, Erica. I must be honest in that I am not a fan of people keeping seriously deformed animals alive as it is rarely a positive thing for the animal. Claims that the animals "feel no pain" ring hollow to anyone who understands skeletal and muscle deformities are indeed, very painful. Perhaps I am sensitive as I know this from a personal experience. Dogs are stoic; they can be in incredible pain and they won't manifest it in ways we as humans recognize.

As well, I would like to point out that "inbreeding" itself is not the source of the problem in this case; inbreeding itself does not cause deformities. Inbreeding has been used to produce all the modern farm animals, such as high quality cattle and hogs. Wild animals, as well, are often intensely inbred. Inbreeding doubles up on genes - good or bad. If bad genes are present then the resulting animals will be poor quality. When animals of quality are inbred, quality animals result. While the owner's desire to educate the public about the problems of poor breeding practices, they would be better off to advocate culling at birth animals born with such serious deformities. Particularly in pit bulldogs, I find it cruel to allow an animal whose mind is active to be trapped in a body which cannot support the animal's love of hard exercise and activity. I don't mean to sound harsh, Erica, and do thank you for sending the link and I do whole heartedly agree with you that this sad situation should be used to help the public understand poor breeding practices such as failure to cull deformed animals at birth.

Then Cuda's owner saw this and wrote Diane Jessup and email. Here is the email and response from Diane Jessup:

I am writing in response to comments you made on 7/16/2011 while answering a question about my dog Cuda. The comments you made were heinous, inaccurate and cruel. The links to our pages were given to you and prior to making judgement you may have wanted to contact me directly for further information. Cuda is an integral part of our family that also includes four other adopted dogs and three adopted cats.

It's people like you who insist on "culling" an otherwise healthy animal who support animal cruelty. Cuda was not bred, she was rescued. You stated you worked as an animal control officer for 20 years. I am an animal control officer. You should know what it is first hand to see acts of cruelty and disgusting practices such as backyard breeding. No, I am not in favor of eradicating breeds by banning any breeding whatsoever, however, senseless breeding contributes to the murder of thousands of animals every day across the nation. Do not preach how to breed if you insist on breeding as a method of "perfecting" the breed or creating a sales worthy animal.

You stated, "Claims that the animals "feel no pain" ring hollow to anyone who understands skeletal and muscle deformities are indeed, very painful. Perhaps I am sensitive as I know this from a personal experience. Dogs are stoic; they can be in incredible pain and they won't manifest it in ways we as humans recognize."

I did not see Veterinarian in your biography? Training "industrial guard dogs" does not qualify you to determine an animals inner mechanism. Who are you to assume Cuda is being stoic and who are you to decide that dogs are stoic in their pain? Cuda has constant and regular vet visits that have included sonograms and x-rays in addition to bloodwork. You have insulted my Veterinarian, me and the thousands of people who follow Cuda daily. How dare you assume that she is being kept alive to gain some sort of fame from her. I have never made money from off of animals but obviously you have made plenty.

You stated, "When animals of quality are inbred, quality animals result. While the owner's desire to educate the public about the problems of poor breeding practices, they would be better off to advocate culling at birth animals born with such serious deformities. Particularly in pit bulldogs, I find it cruel to allow an animal whose mind is active to be trapped in a body which cannot support the animal's love of hard exercise and activity"

How dare you insult the "put bulldogs" by insisting good inbreeding creates quality stock or imply that inbreeding does not create genetic deformities. Have you checked out pocket pits, King Cavalier Spaniels, Shar peis, mini designer dogs? I have never come across a backyard full of mating King Cavalier Spaniels so are you insinuating quality breeders are creating quality stock with this sickly breed? Did the so called "purebred" Rottweiler sitting in the pet store literally walking on her hocks and not her feet indicate good quality because she had papers?

You use the term "culling" as if it's a simple solution. It should be a licensed Veterinarian determining that a newborn or adult dog should be euthanized for humane purpose not some breeder who drowns dogs in the bath tub because the dog is a sales risk. It may be rare for a dog to be born as an extreme case of inbreeding but she is a product of backyard breeding and as an ACO I have observed "breeding parties" where neighborhood idiots gather and breed their dogs together even though they got the dogs from the same litters. Cuda is probably a product of generations of inbreeding. Breeders who are happy to take back their dogs to imply compassion are just disposing of the dogs other ways. I have a rescued "Bos-Pin". The "breeder" couldn't sell her because her head was too big. There is no breed standard for a mutt.

You have misled the person who wanted to share Cuda with you. You made statements that are untrue and quite frankly, your responses to other questions are less than admirable. Being in the industry 20 plus years is no excuse for your martyr like attitude and flippant assumptions..

Julie and Scott LeRoy

Response:
I'm sorry that you were offended by my opinions expressed about severely deformed dogs. Suffering from severe orthopedic conditions myself, perhaps I am a bit sensitive to this issue. I K NOW the pain involved when bones aren't correctly positioned - even by a little bit. And yes, I DO know that dogs are stoic in painful situations. If you do not, then you have either never been around game animals or you chose not to see this fact.

I don't want to trade insults. I spoke from my heart. AS an animal control officer, I know only too well the appeal of the "poor, disfigured, burnt, chopped, mangled - you name it" animal has for some people. Every dog with a scratch on it is a "bait dog". Caring for a grossly deformed animal appeals to some folks. I happen to think that keeping many of these animals alive is anything but humane. I think many "rescuers" put themselves before the animals and then scream bloody murder that everyone else hasn't a heart.

My dogs are my life. My breed is my life. I have chosen my dogs and my breed over a family life, and many other things. I have never sold dogs. I love my animals with a passion few people understand - and because of this I respect them enough to never put my feelings above their quality of life. Your dog WILL suffer severe arthritis if it doesn't already. Boy, do I know about that! I happen to chose to euthanize pups or other animals which will never be able to run, play hard and/or work in a way which satisfies their inborn drives. I do this from love. Not because it makes makes me feel "special".

We have different opinions. You have your right to yours - I to mine. I would advise you to place less faith in veterinarians... their training is very specific, and their knowledge of things like dog breeds, behavior, drives, etc., is VERY limited. I've had vets tell me some of the most outragous things (untrue) that they truly thought were true. And, if you think about it, people like you are a vet's best friend! Why in the world would a vet tell you to euthanize a gold mine like Cuda?

With Best Regards,
Diane

The whirlwind of comments from Cudas followers that ensued were crazy! People said Diane was a cold-hearted witch, that they hope she doesn't have any dogs and they feel sorry for her dogs, all sort of crazy things. It grew into a bashing of breeders who selectively breed and cull and that was compared to humans selectively breeding... It was nuts. I chimed in to offer my point of view in a professional understanding way. And I was called stupid and told to shutup because no one wants to hear my crap. What bugs me is that they are bashing Diane for being "close-minded" yet when someone offers a different point of view, they act like teenagers. I guess I wish people would do a little research before jumping on bandwagons for "poor deformed dogs".
__________________

No comments:

Post a Comment